Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Gigabyte H87 D3H : Not stable or bootable sometimes, but fixed

I got a Gigabyte H87-D3H and a Haswell processor. What adventures I had with it.


Symptoms: With the old PC10600 16gb RAM The box just won't boot sometimes, or would start displaying pixel corruption in the BIOS screenor hang randomly.

When you get a board fresh from the store together with a new CPU, you would expect the board to boot up just nice right? Apparently not in this case:

The box booted without display. LCD monitor just went to sleep upon finding no signal.

The tedious troubleshooting proceeded, swapping out card to run the native HD4400 display, and disconnecting hard drive and RAM.

The configuration that finally worked for me was when I had one or two sticks of RAM in the board(I had 4X4GB sticks). System ran stable for 2 weeks.

I had some time today since it is a public holiday, so I swapped  2X8Gb cosair kit ram from the Win8 box...and the box booted without display. Only one stick at any slot will work. Great.

Started poking around the BIOS to see if there's any RAM settings that wasn't out of the box when I noticed that the BIOS was 2 revisions and the new one  "Support New 4th Generation Intel Core Processors"

Patched it and now it seems to be perfectly happy to take the all RAM sticks. Hello Xubuntu( and all the Wine games).

Troubleshooting PCs are only fun when all you have is time.


No comments: